The Great Start Collaborative in Cass County works to improve systems and supports for children. The state of Michigan has four important outcomes related to the success of young children.
These outcomes are:
- Children are born healthy.
- Children are healthy, thriving and developmentally on track from birth to third grade.
- Children are developmentally ready to succeed in school at time of school entry.
- Children are prepared to succeed in fourth grade and beyond by reading proficiently by the end of third grade.
The Great Start Parent Coalitions (GSPC), through their membership, work together with the Great Start Collaboratives (GSC) to bring about the changes necessary at the community, county and state level to achieve these outcomes for all children living in Michigan.
The purpose of the local Great Start Parent Coalitions (GSPC) is as follows:
- Provide a “customer” perspective for the Great Start Collaborative.
- Educate community members about the importance of early childhood.
- Support the Great Start Collaborative’s work toward achieving Michigan’s early childhood outcomes.
- Provide information, education and resources to parents raising young children.