Advocacy Awards 2020
At the March Great Start Collaborative meeting Sarah Matthews accepted on the behalf of Cass County Youth Council the Community Advocacy Award presented by Anna Carter the Great Start Cass Collaborative Director. Vicki Foote was awarded the Parent Advocate Award presented by Stephanie Knepple the Great Start Cass Parent Coalition Parent Liaison. We greatly appreciate their dedication and passion they express in helping families of Cass County.
The Great Start Collaborative in Cass County works to improve systems and supports for children. The state of Michigan has four important outcomes related to the success of young children.
These outcomes are:
- Children are born healthy.
- Children are healthy, thriving and developmentally on track from birth to third grade.
- Children are developmentally ready to succeed in school at time of school entry.
- Children are prepared to succeed in fourth grade and beyond by reading proficiently by the end of third grade.
The Great Start Parent Coalitions (GSPC), through their membership, work together with the Great Start Collaboratives (GSC) to bring about the changes necessary at the community, county and state level to achieve these outcomes for all children living in Michigan.
The purpose of the local Great Start Parent Coalitions (GSPC) is as follows:
- Provide a “customer” perspective for the Great Start Collaborative.
- Educate community members about the importance of early childhood.
- Support the Great Start Collaborative’s work toward achieving Michigan’s early childhood outcomes.
- Provide information, education and resources to parents raising young children.